endemismotrasnochado

Spanning the globe with frequent and once in a while readers. I am interested in collecting, propagating plants, landscape management practices, ecology, environment, flora/fauna, in essence Nature. This blog is written in a blunt, abrasive fashion with consistent critical views on these subjects and others that may be related...or not.

lunes, 13 de abril de 2009

DAILY MONITORING FOR INSECTS PAYS

IT HAS BEEN MENTIONED that monitoring for insects is necessary unless you prefer to spend money and energy after overlooking the problem. I water spray the majority of my plants every day, except when it rains or is not necessary. I use a one gallon spray. I repeat between 3/5 times morning/afternoon. That is maximum of fifty gallons a week.

Besides the precious liquid as H2O is referred to in the news here, fertilizer and tea compost are sprayed to the foliage. I alternate and leave time in between with just water. The benefits
are evident. So far very few insects have been able to settle down since most have an intense
dislike for water applied with pressure, particularly on a daily basis. Lizards benefit capturing flying insects and/or drinking some water.

TODAY out of the blue, I discovered some really nice looking insects in a long caravan starting at the middle of the trunk of my Calliandra haemathocephala. There were at least a hundred
in different growth stages. It was scary and surprising. I do not remember observing any
either yesterday, Sunday or Saturday.

I went hurrriedly for my secret weapon: dish soap and water. After the first intense foamy attack, I noticed some reluctance in these triangular cute, green insects to pass away. I returned to the fridge to add another organic secret, my own hot sauce. It has been proved
effective before and today was no exception. Adding a couple of teaspoons to the soap I attacked the enemy again, and the poor creatures stopped moving...shortly afterwards.

According to "Bugs of the World", by George C. McGavin, published by Cassel, plc, London, the insects found are of the Umbonia spinosa, or treehoppers family. They have their beauty. I confess some discomfort any time I have to destroy insects harming vegetation. However, I have met
people enjoying the kill of snails, frogs, and caterpillars. I understand that one must decide: garden or destructive insects, but in my case there is no pleasure in the task. Perhaps the important issue here is that insects not killed at the right life cycle become impossible or hard to destroy, such as scales.

Bonus for Botanical names fans: The scarlet hibiscus looking flower on the right side of the blog, formerly DK, has been identified thanks to a fellow gardener from Dave's Garden.com.
It is a 'Hibiscus cannabinus' or Brown indian hemp. As some may recall, when deciding what
to plant or collect, I chose anything not over used or found in commercial nurseries. That is the rule in over eighty percent of my collection.. Some times I go with the flow as with Bouganvilleas, perhaps the most beautiful bush/tree/climber in the tropics, from Brazil.
This selection withstands drought, diseases and heat. I am only fond of the purple shades.
But all have their charm....

2 comentarios:

Antigonum Cajan dijo...

Julito no se de que blog estamos hablando, ni deseo comunicarme con usted puesto que no tiene perfil, algo que no entiendo..

Si se tiene blog habra que dar cara,
si comento algo en su blog bueno o
malo para eso existen; para el intercambio de ideas harmoniosas o discordantes, como es la vida..

Julio Salgado dijo...

Ya arregle lo de mi perfil y parece que usted no sedio de cuenta pero yo soy el de las aves usted me escribio que esta interesado en hablar sobre esto.En su perfil no esta su direccion de correo electronico pero mi direccion es velezjulio0@gmail.com